Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Mighty Vs Civilized !

Can perfection be improved upon? Well, am trying to figure it out by throwing the Mighty Nokia E90 at the latest (latest I’d get my hands on) in the E series, the Civilized E72.

Thanks to WOMworld Nokia for trusting me and sending across an expensive set of Gadget for trial purpose, and @Laserlid for all the support.

I was so excited to have my hands on the E72 and BH-905 after so much confusion and delays caused by the DHL. Though the black Nokia E72 I received reminded me of BlackBerry's, it was a disappointing time for me in the first hour of use itself. As soon as i synced it with my Nokia E90, the E72 was on a stand still for several minutes, that i had to take off the battery and insert it again to perform a reboot. Nevertheless, since then, E72 is performing as good as my E90, but getting used to a smaller QWERTY keypad (1/3 the size of E90's) is taking its time. So what i have decided now is to come up with a shootout between these two mighty handsets. Of course, E90 is a proven beast, and is having a hard time taking all the spoils am throwing at him since i acquired it in 2008 April.

Though the main function of a mobile is to make calls, its merely forgotten these days, and its been used for anything and everything from a torchlight to Navigation system, a handy PC to a fully fledged entertainment system... ! But let me not forget the "call function" here at least.


Making a Call


E72: Ease of finding a contact/voice clarity/volume works in favor of E72 here, but reception at certain parts of my house are still not as good as my basic Sony Ericsson K610i. E90 too suffers signal loss at these parts of the house.
E90: Only after installing a purchased software called T9Nav, I’ve started forgetting the pain of carrying such a huge block with me. But i must say, this app is far better than the inbuilt "search" in E72. You just need to type the words in home screen and you are listed with all the contacts,application,images,sms's, and even a search online link. But voice clarity and speaker volume can't be considered good enough for a premium mobile of this range. Considering the fact its a 2 year old piece, forgiven !

Running an Application

E72: Unhappy. Having the email application running behind all the time, other applications like Gravity, Google Maps, Ovi Maps and Opera freezes the keys for some 10-15 seconds. The inbuilt browser is topnotch indeed. My handset shows EDGE connected in home screen, but device manager shows application running, is that some glitch Nokia ??

E90: Proven winner. I can run several applications in the background, without freezing the keys for even a second. But its slow in browsing when compared to E72.


Battery


Both comes with same type of battery, BP-4L 3.7V


E72: The clear winner here. No testimonies required to support. Easily manages 7+ hours of talk time and 2 days standby with the email application always connected.

E90: Too bad a conversationalist. 3.5 hours of talk time and 2 days standby time, with no application running. An application in the background can cut its life to less than a day. But consider the fact its almost 2 years old and has completed more than 200 hours in the life timer.

Camera

Anything more than a 3.2 MP camera in mobile phones are just worthless in my opinion. Why don’t you buy a DSLR then?

E72: With more Megapixels, E72 is pretty good for a mobile camera. Pretty quick in initiating.

E90: A camera that captures almost after 5 seconds we snap the shot. Damn. Using it with the 2 second self timer is more recommended. Still i prefer the E90 cam for the quality it gives out.


Ergonomics

E72: After using the E90 keyboard, this is just a pygmy. Keys are too small, that you need not cut your nail fingers for a better précised typing. And the width of the phone makes it a bit difficult to hold the phone firmly, especially if you have a small palm. Tends to drop it down often. This new piece of gadget is already making some squeaky noise while using the right Soft key. The steel coated body panels give a premium look, but looks like it takes all the scratches right into its heart.

E90: No, I don’t want to compare a E90 keyboard with any other handsets or even laptops. It’s the best and most comfortable keypad I’ve ever come across. E90 is the King and this alone can beat the E72 in ergonomics. It’s built to last and no major issues related to hardware, but Hell with you Nokia, the paint of the panels are peeling off. Didn’t you notice it at all? Even the new panel I bought for $130 too has totally peeled off in a matter of 4 months. It’s a pity that such a premium model has got the worst treatment at the cosmetic department. Nokia, are you listening.

Display

Both E72 and E90 have got similar display of 16M, still E90 wins, for having 2 screens. But wish it were a touch screen inside. Never mind!

Reception

E72: I was told Sony Ericsson had some serious issue on the reception part, but the E90 and E72 is proving, it’s even worse than a SE, because the basic SE K610i I have, beats both of them in the reception part.

E90: Well, well, I think its excusable for having so bad reception with the E90 in open mode. I have to use it in a vertical position to get more signal, while am using the QWERTY keypad.


Verdict


E72 is sleek, powerful, fully loaded while E90 gives you a rugged gadget, hassle free and quality time, but for a price. Considering the price factor and practicality, E72 wins the shootout hands down.


PS: This is strictly my point of view, and if any one disagrees to the facts I've mentioned here. Lets not argue, i give up :-) . This is my first ever blog in the internet world, so pardon me for the language and errors that might have occurred.

1 comment:

  1. I thought my battery cover looked bad! I just need a little more speed out of my E90 - it would be good for another year.

    ReplyDelete